Sunday, October 10, 2010

Food Choices

1. What, exactly, do you think about when you make food choices? Do you have environmental considerations in mind? Or are there other considerations that determine what you eat?

2. Take a few moments to consider everything you've eaten in the last day or two. Of the food or beverage items you've consumed, which, in your estimation, has had the greatest environmental impact? Why? What goes in to such a calculation?

It really depends on the time of the year as to what kind of food choices I make because of wrestling season. During wrestling season I do not usually think about the environmental effects of what I eat because I am focusing on just trying to loose weight and stay as strong as possible at the same time. I do however make sure that fruits I eat during wrestling season are grown locally. Outside of wrestling season I try to locally for everything ranging from meat to veggies. I do take a lot of supplements such as protein and creatine also but I am not sure what effects they have on the environment.

When I think about what I have eaten over the last few days the food that probably has the largest effect on the environment has to be the beef I ate the yesterday for dinner. I think it has the largest effect on the environment because it was probably transported far and the amount of energy to feed a cow is very large in comparison to almost anything else including chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment